Wednesday 8 May 2013

I am a Seagull

No I haven't gone loopy or all existentialist on you (some might disagree), but for one week only I will be supporting Brighton and Hove Albion in the Championship Playoff Finals and here, in my completely biased and non-factual reasoning is why.

Brighton's path has gone through similar trials and tribulations to that of Charlton so many of us have a deep empathy with them.  They've had to ground share at Gillingham for a while and have had a long and arduous battle with the local council to get planning permission for the superb Amex stadium (all sound familiar?).  Following years of what some have called financial mismanagement they appear to be on a prudent financial footing and have a good manager in the form of Gus Poyet.  If they get promoted I will miss our trips to the coast, but I feel that they do deserve another crack at the Championship. 

Watford, or to give them their real name the Udinese B team, have forced their way into the playoffs through a group of loan players.  While I have a lot of admiration for Zola, this is not what I call a proper team and for me personally I don't see Watford as having earned their spurs to have a go at the Premiership, for this year at least.

No further explanation is needed as to why I don't wish to see Crystal Palace in the Premier League but I will tell you anyway.  I want to see more London derbies next year and continue our rivalry for at least one more year and claw back some bragging rights after losing the double to them this season.  However at some stage I really do want to see a head to head between Ian Holloway and Paulo de Canio for purely entertainment purposes.  This could be a distinct possibility next season given Sunderland's current position.

Finally, have you noticed how returning former Charlton players keep on scoring at the Valley?  Well we now have our own man in the form of Yann Kermogant who just can't stop scoring against his old team Leicester.  It would be a shame if he could not to keep on haunting them with his trade mark "Sssshhh" at least for another season, so please Leicester stay down and keep us company for another year.

Hence I am a Seagull for a short while before returning to being an Addick.

All the Charlton talk today will undoubtedly be on the release of Wagstaff, Fuller, Kerkar and Taylor.  I have seen young Waggy grow up through the Charlton ranks and there is plenty more to come from this fellow if he is given the game time.  I've had compliments about him from other team's fans and I am sure he will find a suitable home.  Fuller was class but I believe the financial pressures at Charlton meant that we really needed more game time from him to afford a further contract.

Update
In my last blog I mentioned ex Charlton youth Sean McGinty who had gone to Manchester United.  By coincidence he popped up as a trialist at Leicester City under 21s in their game against Cardiff last night (source @CAFCofficial on twitter) where he scored an own goal.  If the press reports are correct I don't think this has been his only own goal recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment