Sunday 14 April 2013

6-0, yes that's right I said SIX - NIL !!

"FULL TIME: BARNSLEY 0 CHARLTON 6.  I said.... BARNSLEY 0 CHARLTON 6 " This was how the official Charlton twitter feed announced the final score at yesterday's match.  I get the feeling that they were a tad excited about the scoreline.

Barnsley Advertisement
In case you didn't know we won 6-0 away at Barnsley yesterday which I understand is our largest ever away score.  It takes us up to the heady heights of ninth in the table and reversed our negative goal difference to +2.

Of course it was inevitable this was going to happen owing the the way Barnsley advertised the game.  The photo opposite was courtesy of @JimmyStone on twitter.

I hate it when our club does a campaign like this as it inevitably falls flat on our face.  We only have to look at Operation Riverside for our FA Cup replay against Middlesboro in 2006 and Operation Ewood to keep Charlton in the Premier League in 2007.  They were both well organised, tremendous day's out but the results did not go our way.  I still have my Operation Riverside T-shirt, which is extremely smart but I feel that I can only wear it in far off places where nobody knows its significance.  It's good to know that it happens to other clubs too.


One of our Campaigns*
As you can tell I was not at the game but chose to follow it on the rolling sporsts news services and the trusty Twitter feed.  My two favourite tweets of the afternoon were from @intomnia who said "Serenity of the library immediately ruined by Pritch #yasssss #cafc" as the first goal went in; and another tweeter that I can't now find who said something along the lines of  "Dickie Bird, Darren Gough, Arthur Scargill, Michael Parkinson - your boys took one hell of a beating!*

And another*
Even if you didn't know the score you could tell it was a good day by the number of Charlton fans on twitter waiting up until 11.35pm to watch the Football League Show.

Our loyal away fans have been richly rewarded this season, Charlton having won 33 points away compared to 24 at home.  The difference does not seem great but when you look at league positions, just looking at away form alone would leave us in fourth spot as opposed to a relegation position on home points.

Tuesday sees us visit Cardiff City who just need one point for promotion to the Premier League which I think is richly deserved.  However, Charlton did beat them 5-4 at home and with our away form I am hoping that we will keep their celebrations waiting for a little while longer.

Acknowledgements
Operation Riverside and Ewood logos are from the Charlton Athletic website (www.cafc.co.uk). 


*Update 25 April 2013 - Found it !! The tweet was from @valleyman1973 that went "Arthur Scargill, Darren Gough, Michale Parkinson, Howard webb, Dickie Bird! - can you hear me, Your boys took one hell of a beating !"

No comments:

Post a Comment