Monday 11 March 2013

Pints in Peterborough

The good folk of Peterborough are a lucky lot!  A recent trip to watch Peterborough v Charlton was a decent enough excuse to revisit a few ale houses and share a few of them with the wider world.

The first stop was the Brewery Tap just across the busy A15 from the railway station.  This is a micro brewery within a pub so the beer doesn't have too far to travel, and they have an innovative range of ales.


Brewery Tap: Take your pick!



I settled upon one of the few pints that was not actually brewed by Oakham and settled on a pint of Tiki from the Milton Brewery based near Cambridge.

www.miltonbrewery.co.uk/

Tiki is a light golden ale with a decent bitter finish and I was pleased when the barman said he had to go to the cellar to pour it directly from the barrel.

Keen to squeeze another pint in before the game we moved on to the next pub.  Nearer to the football ground on Oundle Road is the Palmerston Arms.
The Palmerston is a Mecca for beer lovers.  As you can see from the pictures, virtually all the beer is served straight from the barrel stored in a conditioned room and you select your choice from the blackboard.


Poured straight from the cask
Last time I went, the only lager on tap was a  Becks Vier which was much scorned by the landlady.  This has now been replaced with Amstel and supplemented by a couple of traditional beers on pull tap.
I understand that since the start of the year they have served over 60 different types of beer.  This time I actually went for an Oakham beer and settled on their Scarlet Macaw (who thinks of these names !!) as I thought it would go well after the Tikki.  Again its another golden ale but with a much sharper tangy bitter finish.

This is my kind of pub, not brand new and clinical, and with a nice rustic charm.  With no duke box and the occasional banjo or philosophy class taking place it does not encourage the lager louts. 

Football grounds are not usually renowned for their choice of beer (if at all if you happen to be an away fan).  However, I must give a nod to Peterboro Utd for their choice of Tribute Ale and London Pride for those enjoying a bit of match day hospitality.

Palmerston: What a choice !
Finally, if you have a visit by rail and don't have the time to traipse around the town then can I recommend the great Northern Hotel right next to the station.  I managed to squeeze in a quick pint while waiting for my train.  They have a good selection of three Oakham beers that were typical of those I saw in the other two pubs.  In keeping with my previous selections I ordered another golden ale, JHB, which had a much softer finish.  I would have loved to down another but it was time to catch my ride back to London with the remaining straggling contingent of Charlton fans.

Trips later in the year to Peterborough will take in trips to Charters and the Beehive which were all recommended in Charlton's away guide and confirmed by locals as good places for a decent pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment