Wednesday 6 March 2013

Peterborough v Charlton.... Told you so!

Well I predicted that Peterborough v Charlton would have plenty of goals and was unlikely to end in a goalless draw and I was right.  Many eyes were on a certain game at Old Trafford but the real action was at London Road.  This was a cracker of a game for the neutrals (even the Daily Mail called it a Thriller!) and I felt that the 2-2 scoreline was probably the right outcome from two teams that worked hard for 90 minutes.

The weather has been kinder in East Anglia than South Eat London and so we were greeted by the welcome sight of a green pitch and two quick scoring chances from Charlton within the first few minutes, the first by Wilson hitting the underside of the crossbar but failing to go over the line.

I was pleased to see that Callum Harriot got a start and he did well going forward but had difficulties dealing with Little (who was anything but) as Posh attacked.  Danny Haynes had a much better game but I felt his positioning in the centre left Fuller a little isolated.

Decent Beer at Posh
I was the guest of a Peterborough season ticket holder so had to keep the fist pumps below waist height as Jackson then Haynes pumped in our two goals in quick succession.
I thought Button acquitted himself well for his second game between the sticks.  Others felt he should have saved the second Posh goal but there were so many bodies in the way he can't have seen it.

Peterborough kept up their electrifying pace and we were however very lucky not to concede in the dying minutes.  I cringed when Chris Powell made his substitution just before the corner as this was a mistake he made in one of his early games last season.  However this time we survived (just) to earn a well deserved point!

While there weren't many Charlton fans in the seated area next to the home supporters  it was good to see that there was no netting required and just seven stewards to separate the two sets of fans.  I hope one day that all games will be like this but won't be holding my breath.

I managed to get to both of my recommended pubs, the Brewery Tap and the Palmerston Arms, with a quick pit stop at the Great Northern Hotel next to the railway station but this deserves a separate blog of its own later in the week.  We met a Spurs supporter in the Palmeston (yes I know they get everywhere) who told me that he can remember going to the Valley when it was terraced.  We asked the locals there what they thought of the pubs recommended in Charlton's Ian Cartwright's away guide and all but the Cherry Tree (which caters for the more standard crowd) got the thumbs up from the real ale brigade.  I noticed on twitter that the Rose of Denmark crowd had found Charters down by the river and I will have to visit that one when I am next in the area.

Interesting fact of the day - Did you notice the music that was played as the teams came out "We will rock you" is a reference to St Peter whom the city was named after.

A final thought.  I have been blogging for about six weeks now and I have to take my hat off to fellow Addicks bloggers as their accounts of the match have long been published by the time I've managed to complete this piece.  Many will have been burning the midnight oil to prepare their articles, I just wanted to crawl into bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment