Monday 18 February 2013

Wetting your whistle at the Wharf


Well after the first goal went in on Saturday I gave up listening to the Charlton game on BBC Radio London and joined a few friends at Canary Wharf to wet my whistle.

The Henry Addington was the first pub to open on the Wharf and at one time held the record for Europe's longest bar.  We stopped going when it became a hangout for the younger type of drinker and the beers seemed to be slopped out without any care.  Well I am pleased to say that things have changed.  It is now branded a Nicholson's pub which means plenty of choice and well kept bitters.  I am happy to say I was not disappointed as the following selection shows:-



 
 

I must add my apologies to Moles Brewery as I did not take a picture of their Mole Catcher strong ale which also available on tap.  Its good to see someone as mainstream as Nicholsons supporting the various micro breweries around and as long as the vodka red bull brigade aren't too much in evidence I shall be returning.  I am really pleased to see this renaissance in proper beer and look forward to trying plenty more.

I heard the Meridian radio Charlton podcast on the way into work this morning and heard Andrew "10dog" Hughes commentary on the home game against Birmingham. I've never seen a footballer watching their team that has shown any excitement so it was a real joy to hear the passion in his voice.  If you haven't heard it yet then please do have a listen to the game on the CAFC player or the Meridian podcast.

Further to my previous post I noticed plenty of empty seats at the Huddersfield game on Sunday for those of you still thinking about going to the Leicester game, train prices (at sensible times) are now over £100 return

No comments:

Post a Comment