Monday 25 February 2013

Posh Pints... Peterboro Beer Guide for Charlton Fans

As promised, a few gems for those of you going to the Charlton away game against Peterborough and who enjoy a good pint.  Before I go any further, if you were one of the few idiots at Crystal Palace, please don’t bother going to either of these places.  Generally the taste of real ale is enough to put off the lager louts but I shall be visiting them both and don’t want my evening ruined thank you!  I am sure the same goes for the majority of Charlton fans
I imagine that plenty of you are going by train so the first stop is literally a stone’s throw across the main road from the station on Westgate.  The Brewery Tap is a showcase for Oakham Ales but they also have a range of other brews too.  I would recommend the Jeffrey Hudson as a standard session bitter, or the Scarlet Macaw if you’re after something more adventurous.
I haven’t eaten in there but I have had good recommendations from friends on the Thai food menu which complements the ales on offer.
The ground is a short walk away (about a kilometre) along the main road.  As you approach the ground down London road, take a right at the main junction into Oundle road.  A few hundred yards on the left is the Palmerston Arms.
Although this is a Bateman’s pub they have eight to ten real ales on tap at any one time and there is always something interesting on tap to tickle your palette.
All the beer is served directly from the barrel in a conditioned room behind the bar which you can view through a large glass window.  Last time I was there the only non real ale on tap was a lonely Becks Vier tucked away at the end of the bar but it’s a brave person that risks the wrath of the landlady by asking for it.
There are other pubs near the ground which offer a more standard fare.  The Cherry Tree, also on Oundle Road is amenable to both home and away fans.
I hope you find this information useful, and if you did can you drop me a comment or two on the blog to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment