Monday 28 January 2013

Random Charlton Athletic musings


I have stopped buying the Charlton programme until after the game on the basis that I am too miserable to read it if we lose which turned out to be the case on Saturday against Sheffield Wednesday.  Its a shame as the quality of the journalism by Matt Wright and colleagues is superb and shouldn't suffer because I am in a sulk.

I had no qualms about the way we played the game, the work rate and commitment was of a high standard and we did create our chances.  However, I can't say that I agree with Chris Powell's substitution policy.  Surely a pair of fresh legs would assist in retaining the ball better and preventing the opposition from creating chances.  Yann Kermogant's work rate is fantastic but as the lone striker he is absolutely knackered (that's an official footballing term by the way) by the end of the game.

On a brighter note its good to see Charlton women had a well deserved victory against an inform Watford team in the cup.  If you're not following @cafcwomen then please do - they only have 343 members at the time of writing this blog and we should get behind the whole football club, not just one team.

I am reasonably relaxed about the lack of transfer activity at the club given that we have a fully fit squad and I haven't been terribly excited about the names being banded around by the press and others in "the know".  If I were to suggest anyone then George Boyd at Peterboro is my pick.  He is a prolific goal scorer and is transfer listed and out of contract at the end of the season, but I fear that we don't have the funds to bring him in.

Also a big thank you to New York Addick (http://newyorkaddick.blogspot.co.uk/)  for his summary and great analysis of the Charlton accounts.  This is blogging at its best, providing new information via an interpretation of what the figures mean rather than regurgitating what others have already said (all too common in many of the blogs).

On a completely unrelated topic, I dug up an old Goodies DVD on Saturday.  I am probably showing my age but it is extremely humorous family viewing that is unlikely to insult anyone.  I was also surprised at how well it has stood the test of time.  So kids  put down Football Manager, forget about South Park and start learning about the Funky Gibbon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment